Regions and countries throughout the world are becoming more aware of the intrinsic value of a living shark to their communities and their future.
- In Australia, shark tourism is estimated to earn over US$10 million.
- In the Bahamas, a single live shark is estimated to be worth $250,000 while a single dead reef shark has an estimated value of only $50-$60.
- In the Maldives, a single live shark is estimated to be worth $35,000 while a single dead reef shark has a value of only $32.
- In Belize, the 6-week peak season for shark tourism is worth $3.7 million to one small town.
- In Philippines, whale sharks earn Donsol over $620,000 in income.
To understand the value of a sharks in Palau, a study, initiated by Micronesian Shark Foundation Palau is being conducted. The study was conducted from March 2010 to July 2010. Its objective; to determine the value of a live shark in Palau.
The paper is expected to be published in October 2010.
Micronesian Shark Foundation
P.O. Box 964
Koror, PW 96940
Republic of Palau
Tel: +680 488 2637
Fax: +680 488 5418